Health News & iNFORMATION


Friday, October 24th, 2020 from 4:30 to 7pm at East Meadow

Friday, October 31st, 2020 from 4:30pm to 7:20pm at East Meadow

*To sign-up, please contact Nancy Jenks, Nurse Leader at njenks@granbyschoolsma.net

*At arrival, please enter through the school's main entrance and bring your child's insurance card with you. All individuals who enter the building must wear a mask that covers both their nose and mouth for the entire duration of their visit and maintain social distancing. Please contact Mrs. Jenks with any questions.

Physical Exams: 

Any new or transferring students, students in grades kindergarten, 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th as well as those students playing MIAA sports, must provide an updated physical performed within the last 12 months to the School Nurse before starting school or playing sports. Students in preschool and kindergarten must also submit documentation of having had at least one lead test since birth upon entry to school. 


All students entering school must provide documentation of current vaccinations or a religious or medical exemption or they will be excluded from school in accordance with MA state law. Students with medical or religious exemptions are to provide written documentation annually. Beginning in the 2020-2021 school year, all students in grades preschool through 12th grade must be vaccinated against the flu each year unless they have a religious or medical exemption. For the 2020-2021 school year, the annual flu vaccination deadline is December 31st, 2020. 

For students entering 7th grade, they are to provide documentation that they have been vaccinated for Tdap and Meningococcal before starting school. 11th grade students are also to provide documentation of being vaccinated for Meningococcal. Please note that these are new state requirements.

Any student without the written vaccination or exemption documentation may be excluded from school until school nursing staff have received the proper paperwork. Additionally, if there is a disease outbreak that the student has not been vaccinated against, the child may be excluded based on the state public health guidelines for the specific disease. 


In accordance with MA State law, any students needing prescription, over-the-counter, herbal, or supplemental vitamins or medicines in school must have a written medication order from a licensed healthcare provider with the provider's signature. A written parental consent is also required. Medications must be brought in by a responsible adult or a responsible student as deemed by the parent and nursing staff who has life-saving/emergency medications such as an inhaler, epi-pen autoinjector, anti-seizure medication, pancreatic enzymes, and/or insulin). Medication must be in the original pharmacy container with the pharmacy label on it and can only be accepted by school nursing staff. Please contact your student's School Nurse with any questions.


***Please see the Health Services Main Page for the district's COVID-19 Health protocols as well as the district's reopening plan for health and illness information. 

   Any student diagnosed with strep throat or pink eye (conjunctivitis) must be on antibiotics for 24 hours prior to returning to school and provide medical documentation of an alternative diagnosis before coming back to school.

Preventing Illness:

We encourage your child and family to wash their hands often, for at least twenty seconds with soap and water and wear a mask. Hand washing and mask wearing are two of the top ways to prevent the spread of germs, including COVID-19. We also encourage parents/caregivers o encourage their children and family to avoid touching their "T" zone: eyes, nose, and mouth and to cover their coughs with their elbows, not their hands. Finally, if your student is sick, please keep them home to help preventing the spread of germs to others. By working together, we can help keep our students, staff, and families healthy.

If you have any questions about the above topics, please contact your School Nurse. Thank you!

COVID-19 Assistance & Supports:

Neighbors Helping Neighbors Food Pantry in collaboration with Granby To-Go
30 Carew St., South Hadley, MA
94130 437-7593
Website: https://www.nhnfoodpantry.org/
*Offers pick-up & delivery
*Contact Judy Delong at granbytogo@granbyschoolsma.net for help accessing this program
Amherst Survival Center 
138 Sunderland Rd., Amherst, MA
(413) (413) 549-3968
Website: https://amherstsurvival.org/
*Offers pick-up & delivery
*Contact Judy Delong at granbytogo@granbyschoolsma.net for help accessing this program
Food, Employment Assistance, & Fuel AssistanceGetting Help with Housing Costs (Rent & Mortgage)
Supplemental Food Assistance Program (SNAP) & Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA)
877-382-2363 (This is an automated line that can help applicants apply for assistance)
Mobile app: DTA Connect
Website: dtaconnect.com
MA Department of Housing & Community Development
Website: https://www.mass.gov/covid-19-getting-help-with-housing-costs
Health Insurance:
MassHealth Application
(800) 841-2900
Website: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-masshealth-t...

Ongoing programs:

Self-Care Practices:

In the fall of 2019, Granby Public Schools, students, and staff began working with mindfulness expert Kate Forest in using self-care practices throughout the day to help relax, become more focused and calm. These practices have been demonstrated to have a positive impact on students' social emotional health and have improved time on learning.

Granby Schools Health Services Main Webpage

Granby Schools Health Services Health Links & Resources Webpage